Sunday, May 3, 2015

Shooting the Line


In yesterday's race I successfully shot the finish line - something I have read about but never really done before.

The rest of the race was nothing to write home about - a poor start and then to pile ignomy on top of that, I started to go toward the wrong mark at one point.  Not glorious.

But, back to the positive note.  As I was on the last upwind, heading for the finish. I was coming in on port with a colleague to my left and slightly ahead.  I saw the opportunity and hiked for all I was worth, which gained me a bit but I was still not where I needed to be, so I decided to try shooting the line.  I did so, bearing off just a tiny bit to get a last bit of speed and then luffing up as late as I dared, hoping I had timed it right - I had and I finished about a half a boat length ahead of my colleague. 

Wow, that felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...